- PMHNP Post Graduate Certificate, Liberty University, 2020
- DNP, Frontier Nursing University, 2012
- FNP Post Master's Certificate, UNMC-College of Nursing, Scottsbluff, 2006
- MSN, Specialty in Certified Nurse-Midwifery, University of New Mexico, 2002
- BSN, University of Nebraska Medical Center-College of Nursing, Lincoln, 1999
Dr. Swanson has been a nursing instructor since 2007. She began her teaching career at UNMC-College of Nursing, then taught for Grand Canyon University prior to joining Mount Marty as Adjunct Faculty in 2021 and full-time as an Associate Professor in 2022. She frequently precepts APRN students during her clinical practice, and is an instructor for BLS, NRP, and ALSO.
Dr. Swanson was raised in central NE on a farm and now lives in the Nebraska Sandhills. She currently serves as the NE American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) Affiliate president, and served a term as Region V Representative to the National ACNM Board of Directors in 2009-2012. Since 2011 she has served on the United States Baby Friendly Clinical Advisory Board. Other memberships include: Nebraska Nurse Practitioner Association, American Nurses Association, Nebraska Nurse Association, International Lactation Consultants Association, and Institute of Functional Medicine. She owns a small private APRN practice, teaches online, and works clinically at Rosebud, Indian Health Service facility. She was the director of Holy Family Services Birth Center in Weslaco, TX from 2011 to 2016, where she started as a volunteer in 2009.