South Dakota Freedom Scholarship
There is an obvious financial gap in post-secondary education in South Dakota. This scholarship is a state-wide initiative to encourage students of all economic backgrounds to live and work in South Dakota after graduation, a pursuit only made possible by the generous contributions from donors across the state.
- Maintain South Dakota residency for at least one year prior to scholarship application
- Work toward a baccalaureate degree
- Establish an unmet financial need, as determined by the federal Department of Education through the annual submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This calculation is based upon the federal cost of attendance calculation minus expected family contribution (EFC), minus financial aid awarded (excluding student loans).
- Maintain 2.0 GPA or higher
- Graduate from an eligible institution within five years
- Commit to living and working in South Dakota for a period of three years after graduation, military service or graduate education if applicable
- Agree that failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall result in the scholarship being converted to an interest-bearing student loan.
New students interested in the South Dakota Freedom Scholarship need to apply for admission through the college they are planning on attending. The FAFSA also needs to be completed and sent to the student’s college of choice.
Returning students can also apply for this scholarship and need their FAFSA completed for the next school year and sent in to the college they are attending.
Students will then be reviewed for eligibility after completing the application below.
If you are interested in the South Dakota Freedom Scholarship, please click the button below to fill out the form.
If you have questions regarding the Freedom Scholarship, please contact your Enrollment Counselor and/or the Financial Assistance Office with any questions.