The Mother Jerome Schmitt Scholarship, honoring Mount Marty University's first president, is awarded during a student's senior year and grants full tuition for one academic year and is non-renewable. It covers the tuition charge at Mount Marty University for the year it is granted, up to 18 credit hours each semester. You also must actively participate in a university recognized club, organization or activity.
Mother Jerome served as president from 1936-1957. She oversaw the construction of Bishop Marty Chapel, Whitby Hall, Marian Auditorium and a new convent. After serving as prioress for 29 years, Mother Jerome taught German, worked in pastoral care and was a tutor at Mount Marty. In 1980, Mother Jerome was named Yankton’s Citizen of the Year. She was a valiant, strong woman respected and admired by people across the state and nation.
Applying for the Mother Jerome Schmitt Scholarship
Undergraduate, Yankton campus students who will be a senior in Fall of 2022 and will graduate in May or August of 2023 are welcome to apply. Applications will open later this year.
- Print off the Verification of Requirement form and bring to Jayne Arens in the Raven for verification.
- Complete the Scholarship Application and submit.
- Request recommendations from two (2) faculty or staff members.
- Provide staff members with the link to the recommendation form.
- Be sure to follow up with persons providing recommendations prior to the deadline to ensure they are submitted before the closing time.
- Deliver completed application packet to Jayne Arens in the Raven by 4:00 p.m on March 14, 2022.