Medical Laboratory Science
Be Challenged. Be in Demand.
Are you ready to play a vital role in health care?
With a medical laboratory science degree from Mount Marty, you’ll not only be prepared for careers in the lab, but you’ll also have the expertise to work in a variety of biomedical positions. Your vast science knowledge and technical skills will give you an excellent foundation for careers in hospital labs, veterinary offices, biotechnology and industrial research laboratories. You’ll also be well prepared to train or supervise laboratory technicians. Or you might decide to pursue a professional or graduate degree in human or veterinary medicine, biomedical research, education or management. Medical laboratory practitioners work beyond the laboratory as physicians, researchers, professors, consultants, managers and public health administrators.
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) Program at Mount Marty University is to prepare graduates to meet the preclinical and core clinical competencies as described by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) under the Benedictine liberal arts tradition and to promote personal growth, hospitality and the sense of serving the human community.
Throughout your first three years in the program, you’ll take pre-clinical courses and develop a strong background in the sciences. You’ll spend your final year at Mount Marty doing a clinical internship at a hospital accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), where you’ll be fully immersed for the first time in your role and responsibilities as a medical laboratory scientist. After you’ve graduated, you’ll be eligible to take the national certification exam administered by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP).
Our Clinic Program:
Students will benefit from opportunities at exemplary institutions, including:
- Sanford Health USD Medical Center
- St. Luke's College - UnityPoint Health
MMU is affiliated with COMLE (Committee on Medical Laboratory
- Strong background in chemistry and biology. Your pre-clinical courses will include inorganic and organic chemistry, analytical and instrumental analysis, statistics, human anatomy and physiology, cell and molecular biology, microbiology, and immunology.
- Clinical coursework from day one. You’ll have a distinct advantage heading into your clinical internship during your fourth year at Mount Marty. Our program gives you a strong introduction to clinical material before your internship even begins. It’s integrated into the coursework from day one.
- Hands-on learning. During your clinical internship (your fourth year), you’ll take the concepts you learned in your coursework and translate them to the instruments and techniques in the lab to identify disease.
The medical laboratory science bachelor of science degree program is designed to be completed in four years.
Major Course Curriculum
- MLS 302 Immunology
- MLS 485 Clinical Internship (40 Credits)
Related Course Requirements
- BIO 111 General Biology I
- BIO 203 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIO 204 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIO 320 Microbiology
- BIO 330 Genetics
- BIO 364 Cell and Molecular Biology
- CHM 111 General Chemistry I
- CHM 112 General Chemistry II
- CHM 231 Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 364 Biochemistry
- MTH 150 College Algebra (or higher)
- MTH 219 Elementary Statistics
- CHM 232 Organic Chemistry II
- MLS 490 Seminar
- MLS 498 Research
Total Credits: 92 (44 Major Course Credits + 48 Related Course Credits)