The Mother Jerome Schmitt Scholarship, honoring Mount Marty College’s first president, is awarded during a student's senior year and grants full tuition for one academic year and is non-renewable. It covers the cost of tuition at Mount Marty College for the year it is granted, up to 18 credit hours each semester. You also must actively participate in a college recognized club, organization or activity.
Mother Jerome served as president from 1936-1957. She oversaw construction of the Bishop Marty Chapel, Whitby Hall, Marian Auditorium, and a new convent. After serving as prioress for 29 years, Mother Jerome taught German, worked in pastoral care and was a tutor at the college. In 1980, Mother Jerome was named Yankton’s Citizen of the Year. She was a valiant, strong woman respected and admired by people across the state and nation.
Applying for the Mother Jerome Schmitt Scholarship
Undergraduate, Yankton campus students who will be a senior in Fall of 2020 and will graduate in May or August of 2021 are welcome to apply at this time. Applications close at 5:00 p.m., February 7, 2020.
- Print off the Verification of Requirements form and bring to VPAA and Dean of the College in Bede 229 for verification.
- Complete the scholarship application.
- Request recommendations from two (2) faculty or staff members.
- Provide staff members with a recommendation form.
- Be sure to follow up with persons providing recommendations prior to the deadline to ensure they are submitted before the closing time.
- Deliver completed application packet to the Academic Affairs Office, Bede 229, no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 7, 2020.