Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
ENHANCE YOUR CLASSROOM INSTRUCTION AND IMPROVE STUDENTS' LEARNING WITH AN MED IN CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION
LEARN TODAY, TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR TOMORROW.
As an experienced teacher, you already know that effective teaching is perhaps the most important factor in determining student achievement. You can make all the difference in shaping young minds by spreading your passion for learning in the classroom. With a Master of Education degree in curriculum and instruction, you’ll stay up-to-date on trends and current research in effective teaching and use your own classroom as the basis for your research. You’ll work with your peers and professors to design multiple research projects that meet your specific classroom needs, using data from your classroom to make instructional decisions. You’ll draw from the knowledge and expertise of experienced teachers and professors to enhance your classroom practice and, ultimately, improve student outcomes. You’ll not only learn effective teaching methods for your students but engage in meaningful professional development for yourself. At Mount Marty, we truly believe in the importance of lifelong learning, one of our four Catholic Benedictine values.
Portfolio or Thesis: Complete either a professional portfolio, comprised in part of your practicum research projects, or by writing a traditional research thesis (30 credit hours).
Coursework: Complete your degree without a portfolio or thesis (33 credit hours).
- Save time. The six core courses are offered in a compressed summer format.
- Immediate impact. During the school year, practica occur in your own classroom, requiring no visits to a Mount Marty campus.
- Competitive cost. We’ll make it easy for you to succeed with affordable costs and financial aid options.
Our courses blend well with those from the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards, the Danielson Group, and InTASC Standards, highlighting these core areas of expertise in the field of teaching:
* Learning theory and the classroom environment
* Strategies and techniques of effective teaching
* Using assessment and measurement to inform instruction
* Instructional technology and engaging students
* Creativity and critical thinking
Three supervised practica will be conducted in the teacher’s own classroom during various school terms. These provide teachers an opportunity to apply the theoretical knowledge of the core courses in their classroom practice using research interventions they designed.
Summer year 1
- EDN 500 Action Research
- EDN 510 Educational Psychology: Learning Theory
- EDN 520 Strategies and Techniques for Effective Teaching
Fall year 1
- EDN 511 Practicum for EDN 510
Spring year 1
- EDN 521 Practicum for EDN 520
Summer year 2
- EDN 530 Assessment and Measurement
- EDN 540 Educational Technology for Effective Teaching
- EDN 550 Creativity and Critical Thinking in the Classroom
Fall year 2
- EDN 531/541/551 Choose one practicum project
Spring year 2
- EDN 600 Portfolio / Thesis
- Graduation during Spring Commencement of year 2
Tuition:________________$320 / credit hour
Program Support Fees:____ $45 / credit hour
Total for 30 credits:____$10,950
Traditional financial aid is available for full time students.
The Dream Big Scholarship by Vision Realty, which was made possible by Dan and Deb Specht, provides teachers working at the Sacred Heart or Yankton School Districts in Yankton, South Dakota with funds toward the completion of their Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction at MMC.
Contact Dr. Debbi McCuin for more information about this valuable scholarship.
- Bachelor's degree in education or equivalent
- Current licensure and certification to teach
- Signed contract with a school district and responsible for own classroom
- Minimum of one year teaching experience
- Cumulative 2.75 undergrduate GPA (minimum of 3.0 in last two years)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional statement of purpose
- Please send supporting application materials along with the Admission Checklist directly to Mount Marty College Office of Admissions