LOVE THEATre AND MUSIC? TURN YOUR PASSION INTO A CAREER WITH A B.A. IN THE PERFORMING ARTS
You'll be hard-pressed to find a performing arts degree quite like this one. Perfect for students whose interests are not singularly focused in music or drama, but span both — you'll be able to soak up as much experience and knowledge as possible in college. MMU's fine arts degree combines our robust choral, instrumental music and active theatre programs to feed your passions and help you develop into a professional ready for a successful career in the industry.
A WELL-ROUNDED, FLEXIBLE DEGREE — EASILY COMBINE PERFORMING ARTS AND ANOTHER AREA OF INTEREST TO EXPAND CAREER OPTIONS
If you have an interest and passion in both music and theatre, but want to study another field or major outside of the arts, this degree will allow you enough spare time to pursue your performing arts passions and improve your career prospects through interdisciplinary study. A double major in education or in a variety of other academic tracks, such as business, philosophy, history, or English.
HANDS-ON LEARNING AND LIMITLESS OPPORTUNITIES
MMU's performing arts students complete a core 24 hours — 12 focused on music studies and 12 in theater studies — plus an additional 24 hours of study of your choosing. Specialize in music or theatre, or continue a combination of both.
THE PROGRAM COMBINES ALL THREE AREAS, BUT YOU CAN CHOOSE TO COMBINE ALL THREE, FOCUS ON TWO, OR MASTER JUST ONE OF THE PERFORMING ARTS AREAS BELOW:
- 1 musical production each year.
- 2 non-musical productions. See past productions.
- Produces the annual Stations of the Cross presentation during Holy Week.
- Hosts The National Players Tour, America's Longest-Running Touring Company.
- Coordinates a high school oral interpretation contest.
- Attends and competes in the annual Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF).
- 3 Choirs Include
- Produces the annual Christmas Vespers performance held in Bishop Marty Chapel.
- Performs one major work each spring.
- Smooth Benediction, on campus acapella group, competes in the annual International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA).
- Participates in the Midwest American Choral Directors Conference.
Career paths for fine arts grads often include the following:
- Work in professional theatre;
- Land a position in a community theatre as a director, designer, music director, choreographer, office manager, education director, and so many more;
- An education career, have a positive influence while teaching fine arts;
- Event or wedding planning;
- Graduate school preparations for education and professional careers;
- Facility management and operations;
- and more.
Did you know? MMU’s Catholic Benedictine heritage uniquely prepares our performing arts majors for careers in music or drama ministry.
- Internships & Job Opportunites with groups like:
- Kalamazoo Civic Theater - Kalamazoo, MI.
- Black Hills Playhouse - Custer, SD.
- Northern Fort Playhouse - Aberdeen, SD.
- Washington Pavilion - Sioux Falls, SD.
- On-campus and regional concerts & performances
- Theatre performances that draw regional crowds
- Regional and national competitions through the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival
Popular degree combinations include, but aren't limited to: